Sunday, March 26, 2006

SPANDAN’s Appeal to COEP Alumni

It is now three years SPANDAN is doing various activities in and around COEP but still date we haven’t approached COEP alumni. Though when we started SPANDAN one of our objectives was to made a stage available to the COEP alumnus so that their combined effort can be channeled.

Until now we haven’t ask any help from alumni because before doing so we want to established ourselves completely. When I took SPANDAN rejuvenation task first thing that came in my mind was this is right time to aware the alumni about the functioning and plans of SPANDAN and how they can help us.
I was looking for such opportunity and it came to my way through the COEP alumni’s annual meet scheduled in Pune on 26th of this month. So when I headed towards the Pune on Saturday it was not an occasional visit to the town but I had mission in my mind.

I convinced the organizers that I should get 10 mins slot in the program. When I arrived for the program I came to know that due to lack of time they could only give me 5 mins. I agree on that and decided to deliver a compact speech.

Few highlights of the my speech of that evening

1.The various activities SPANDAN members have been doing last 3 years.
2.Which all problems we are facing.
3.What COEP alumni can do for us.

One of the major point I raised was ‘Hike of the fees after COEP getting autonomous’
I made them aware that annual fees of 30,000 is not a small amount esp for the students who came from the lower class families. I told them we are not opposing the hike in fees but at the same time care should be taken so that no one should deny from the opportunity to join COEP. I suggested them there should be tie up between COEP and Bank so that education loans should get available easily. Also I suggested them to start some need-based scholarships for such needy students. When I calculated the amount to start such scholarships the budget came around 6-7 Lakh and looking at the lack of funds available with alumni association I assured SPANDAN will take steps to raise some amount of this funds.

After my speech some of the two three alumni members approached me and shown willingness to work for SPANDAN I think that is something I achieved on that evening.
I request all the other alumnus of the COEP who I can’t reach on that day that if they feel they can do anything for the SPANDAN they should come ahead and join hands with the SPANDAN’s mission.
I am looking forward for your feedback and help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home